11.25.2008

Twilight Review

So here are my thoughts about Twilight, which overall was "ok."

- Edward was a very bad casting choice. The Edward in my head is hunkier, has more muscles, and looks like a chiseled Greek marble statue like Stephenie Meyer described. I know he's supposed to look 16 or 17 yrs old, but this actor was scrawny and sickly looking. The vampires are supposed to have this awe-inspiring effect on people, suck them in with their attractiveness and charm- Edward totally didn't do it for me.

-LOVED Bella, totally cute. Perfect. Now the boy shorts during the kissing scene was kinda taking some license and running with it- if I remember right from the books she was a big fan of the baggy sweatpants at all times :) Doug's response to this was "C'mon now, the producers of that movie knew that guys like me would be dragged to this show and would have been disappointed if she was wearing baggy sweatpants." Ha ha!

-LOVED the casting choices of Esme, Carlisle, Emmett (little hottie fo sho), Rosalie, Jacob, Charlie, & Billy.

-Jasper was made to seem a lot sketchier and insane-asylum-escapee than I remember him being. Yes, he was fighting a lot of urges...but the eyes about to pop out of his head? Reminded me actually of an early Edward Scissorhands....

-Love development between Edward and Bella was about a D for a grade. BUT, a lot of it is internal thought processes in the book that are very descriptive, and I know that'd be realy hard to put into a movie adequately. It seemed like "Hi, my name's Bella" and two seconds later "Hey, I'm ready to die for you."

-Edwards comments (particuarly in the woods and by that giant boulder when she's just told him she knows what he really is and doesn't care) made him appear really psychopathic and not the Rico Suave I remember him being. Hmmm... maybe the underlying theme of this post is that I have a bad memory :)

-Special effects were pretty funny. You could practically see the zip line and harness from the movie set when Bella was on Edward's back and they were running through the woods :)

-I think the movie deal was struck too soon. Now that the books are SO famous and popular and she's done with the series, she could have held out for a MUCH bigger name producer and higher budget film.

-Very fun flick overall, though :) And all the adolescent girls at the movie theatre dressed in their pajama pants and pink slippers, swooning and catcalling at Edward and Jacob on the screen were HILARIOUS!

2 comments:

Candice said...

I loved your review! And I totally agree that Stephenie should have waited for a better producer and budget. And I wish you could've come to our gathering at Carla's too. The invite was sent out fairly late minute to those she knew would be going to the movie that Friday, sorry. It would've been fun to have you there. Sounds like you'll be having a busy holiday. Travel safe and have a great Thanksgiving!

Brad & Janette Bowen said...

Agree with you on most points. I did love Bella and though at first I didn't like the guy playing Edward he did grow on me! I really didn't like the casting of any of the other cullens except for Emmett. They seemed to "normal" to me. And ya - Jasper just looked crazy!