May 2003, on a flight from Mexico City to Virginia follwing the conclusion of our SVU study abroad, my friend Jamie who had run a marathon, doodled a little running Sarah cartoon in the back of my journal, along w/ tips and training info for running my own 26.2 and the words "YOU CAN DO IT." I always wanted to be a "runner." Whatever that meant. Just to have a good routine and run a couple miles every morning- be fit, trim, and in shape. But I never did a thing about it b/c I was swamped and exhausted- new marriage, lots of moves and college transfers, taking 22 credit hour semesters and working 3 part time jobs, starting my career- always one excuse after another until the goal wasn't even a goal. The gradual weight gain was rationalized. Then two angels came into my life.
First was Valerie. {Warning- this is cheesy} We moved into Mad 4th the same summer I think. She got up in RS on Sunday and her one sentence introduction of herself was "My name is Valerie and I like to run." I sat the first year not participating in the running group but wanting to. Then the next year I believed Valerie when she announced that this little relief society running group that she wanted to get together on Saturdays mornings really did welcome beginners and no experience necessary. So I got out and gave it a shot. I couldn't even run a quarter mile. I did a run walk run walk canter. And Valerie was patient. I worked up to more and more over the summer. Last October the group of us ran the Aldo Leopold Half Marathon trail run at Devil's Lake State Park in Baraboo. It was insane. Valerie ran the half marathon, then after she crossed the finish line, she turned around and started running back up the trail to find each of us and make sure we were ok. She ran with some of us for a little bit. As much as I called her crazy for being in such great shape and being able to batt an eyelid at 20 miles like it was nothing, Valerie, you inspired me to be better and to push harder and to become healthy. You really cared about us all. You are such a sweetheart and you will never know what you have meant for me. This summer I pushed harder and I actually ran during the week on my own, which I hadn't done the previous year. Valerie believed in me that I could do a marathon, I believed in myself, I stuck to a running schedule, and I did it. And Valerie announced it in Church the follwing Sunday (yesterday) :) I hope Valerie got the pat on the back she deserved. The is an AMAZING friend.
Second angel is Marin. { WARNING- this is equally as cheesy} Marin started posting in January and February these huge weight loss successes on FaceBook, part of her hard work as a participant in this Thin in Six challenge. Then luckily for me, she decided to start her own six week challenge. She built the 10 in 6, the free women's weight loss support blog to help women make the lifestyle changes they want to make, just throwing this little idea out there to her friends and family. I jumped on it the last week of February 2009. Now let me preface this by saying that no one will lose weight until they decide to. No one will stick to a workout plan or make lifestyle food changes, until they're good and ready to and until they've decided deep within themselves that they're ready to do whatever it takes to make it happen. I guess the timing was right- I was at that point for the most part- the heaviest I'd ever been in my life- feeling very frumpy and unhappy with myself- just blah in every way possible. The first six weeks of the challenge I didn't hit my goal, but I hit it in the two weeks off afterwards. The second six weeks of the challenge, same thing, I didn't hit my goal, but I hit it in the two weeks off afterwards. I felt like I was in control for once of where my body was headed- I wasn't a runaway train anymore. Marin, that was because of you. You put the tools in front of me and provided so much support and motivation, positive encouragement and love, that I finally changed the direction I was headed and fell in love with fitness and being healthy. Thank you so much for putting me on the right path to the real me.
All summer I stayed at the same weight for the most part. Then I decided this August to start up my own Ten in Six after Marin's model and invite my friends to join. And as the moderator/writer of that, I exceeded my goal for the six weeks and was surprised to find a huge amount of satisfaction and fulfillment in it. I LOVE doing it. It makes me feel so motivated and I look forward to it every morning. I'm in the second week now of my second Ten in Six and I am loving how incredibly awesome everyone is, how much it builds me up while I help build others up. It's amazing. And it makes me so happy :) To date since Feb, I've lost 35 lbs and I've never felt better.
And I have two angels to thank for their beautiful roles in my life.
{THANK YOU!}
10.12.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Oh this was so fun to read! Again, you rock. And I have to say it is funny to hear you say you felt frumpy because you are definitely someone I would classify as gorgeous!
Post a Comment