Last Saturday morning I ran the Crazy Legs Classic 8k race in downtown Madison (5 miles). Awesome! There were so many people to watch and the energy was contagious, races always get me giddy and excited, and although the constant torrential downpour kind of hampered my comfort a little bit, I finished faster than what I expected and had a great time! I planed on about a 12-13 minute mile which is my pace just cruising around my neighborhood on leisurely runs. But I did it with a 10.8 min mile pace, so I'm pretty pleased. I don't claim to be fast- I just get it done w/ endurance :) Don't cha know the turtle wins the race? I came in 9,473rd place...not exactly trophy winning, but I never walked and so I'm pretty happy w/ how I did! The race ends in Camp Randall stadium and it's pretty triumphant. The race benefits UW Athletics, so there's all the football players, basketball players, and cheerleaders at the beginning and end of the course giving high fives and cheering. And yes, lots and lots of beer! Running past all the frat houses just outside campus on the route was hilarious- music blaring, people lining the streets w/ their 11 am cocktails, airhorns, costumes. I think I heard the Rocky themesong about 5 different occaisions. Best quote of the day was at some encouragement via loudspeaker near mile marker 4, just before the stiltwalker dressed up like Uncle Sam and the fratboy in his underwear w/ suspenders on the side of the street: "After this race you're gonna CRAP THUNDER!"
Pre-race:
Post-race:
A group of us from our ward went and ran it: Me, Abrey, Janis, Heidi, Erika, Rachel, Warren, & Devin. Nice job, everyone!!!!! It was sooo cold and soooo wet. Afterwards, I showered and went straight to bed all afternoon!




1 comment:
This second photo looks like Warren and his posse! :) Good job people!
Post a Comment