11.05.2008

Aldo Leopold Half Marathon- Update!



So I ran- and I CONQUERED!!! I ran my first half-marathon October 25th at Devil's Lake State Park in Wisconsin. It was a trail run. Best way to describe it is grueling and exhilerating at the same time. For instance, the first hill was so steep you had to put your hand on the ground, dirt, & wet leaves, to just get up the hill. The average grade was 5% and the terrain was up and around the bluffs, rock staircases, wooded trails, prairie trails, wooden bridges, and oh yeah, did I mention HILLS? Whew! BUT, at the same time, I had a smile plastered on my face and I was so run through with adrenaline and excitement that it was an AWESOME feeling the whole time. I hit the ten mile mark on the trail and I was my own personal cheerleader- "Yeah, I rock! Look at me! This is further than I've ever run before!" Oh, yeah, my hip flexors started hurting around mile 9 pretty badly, and the hills never seemed to end, but it was so exhilerating and exciting and I was so proud of myself. I can definitely see what people mean when they talk about a Runner's High, and I can empathize now with people who become addicted to races. It was supposed to be 13.1 miles (true half marathon), but the course turned out to be 14. I ran with three other girls from my ward- my running group all year- Valerie (the ultramarathon running, butt-kicker, coach & leader), Abrey, & Sarah B. Great job, girls!!!!!

2 comments:

The Royal Buffington's said...

No YOU are amazing. Kickin' out the half marathon, er, I mean, 14 mile race in record time!

Amber and The Boys said...

I have been waiting to hear an update on this! Way to go! Not something I would ever want to do-sounds really hard!