The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century by Thomas L. FriedmanMy review
rating: 5 of 5 stars
Phenomenal book! This should be required reading for all high school students to understand the economic/social/political/technological world they are about to enter. For the rest of us, I think it's a great read that would appeal to people interested in history, political science, technology, or globalization. For me, this was right up my alley and I LOVED it! Friedman is genius in my opinion. His whole premise or point to the book is to show how because of the convergence of various factors in the last 100 years, the world is flattening, in terms of the playing field leveling and more and more people of all parts of the world now being able to compete successfully and thrive. He was able to explain the birth of the internet and development of computer/info systems, the dot com boom/bust which actually helped lift the rest of the world up to our playing field, and a lot of global trade issues. I most enjoyed his case studies into UPS, Wal-Mart, math and science education in American youth, outsourcing, insourcing, offshoring, and a lot about China very in depth. I LOVED how he analyzed why Mexico never reached its full trading potential and is now falling apart econmically while China is reaching its full potential and is a world giant, despite the fact that Mexico has so many more natural advantages such as proximity to the U.S. He is careful to always explore all sides of an issue, such as culture, geography, politics, economics, education, benefits/cons, and allows for all counterarguments. The book isn't that argumentative, though. It's a great book. Now, a little side note, he is considered liberal in political/economic orientation...so take that as you will, but nothing is offensive. And I didn't agree with his prescription for the health care industry in America, but I loved everything else. I am uber-passionate about international relations and increasing global understanding and compassion among us all, but still, I think anyone who read this would have a MUCH better and thorough understanding of history and why/where we are today. I recommend it to everyone!
View all my reviews.




No comments:
Post a Comment