7.16.2008

Updates All Around

So, I've come to realize that I'm not a very good blogger. If I don't have a cute picture from an event, I never say anything about it. But I just wanted to let you know how the summer's been going, I s'pose!

JUNE saw me with a new calling- Ward Young Women's President. Gulp! Our group of girls is super small since our ward is so young. We have 4 YW right now! And by the end of the summer we'll have 2! But we have 3 nurseries and 3 sunbeam classes! I ran a 6k trail run in Blue Mounds, which is a lot harder than a flat surface and it kicked my butt. I attempt to run most Saturday mornings with a running group of a handful of women from our ward--led by a stalwart ultramarathoner Valerie. Still, it kicks my butt. June 11th we sold Doug's car and were a one car family for a month--that's not fun! June 24-27th I was away at Girl's Camp as a stake leader over the 4th year girls. We camped by age group (year group) in tents on the dirt. Our girls were troopers. No midnight crying at our site, just midnight giggling and screaming b/c of critters. It's kind of creepy to roll over and hear sniffing and scratching 6 inches from your head from a racoon on the other side of a thin tent wall. We did horseback riding, campfires, campsongs, goey s'mores, delicious banana boats, mosquito bite collecting, hiking, swimming, pranking other campsites, and having a pretty good time. Abrey (the other leader)and I were more obnoxious than the girls when we were trying to do a prank the last night on the Stake campsite.....we were creeping up the hill and CRACK- Abrey's flashlight stand made a noise and Carolyn & Roxy caught us. We ran away laughing hysterically and continued the rest of our "heart attacking" with our girls. We also had an iron chef competition (our girls won) and survivor game. Friday morning we had a sunrise testimony meeting and despite the few snorers, it was a great experience. Camp was fun but at the same time, a week worth of light sleep wears on you and takes a while to recover from! And sugar overdose... Frank turned 1 on June 27th and we had a shin dig. We had to make a decision by June 30th on if we wanted to renew our lease at our current apartment complex, so we apartment hunted for a couple weeks and decided after some negotiating them with some rent specials, that we'd stay where we're at for another year. And of course I've had a lot of YW lesson prep and activities---but I'm really getting into the love of it more and more every day.

JULY we got a new VW that's for me to drive and Doug's driving the A6. Doug was recently offered the store manager position and raise for the KarCom Verizon store on University Ave. & Shorewood Blvd. He hasn't 100% accepted it yet, but we've spent the three weeks debating pros and cons of working instead of school right now. Doug's also undergoing some neurology testing for a reading disability and ADD. So for now, we're leaning towards school being put on hold, but we've put a 1-2 year time limit on this new job offer panning out into everything he's been promised it will---part ownership, rights, etc. Hopefully by then, Doug will be better prepared for school should he decide to take that route. But if everything works out how it's expected to with the career, we'll be all set to achieve our financial goals and start a fam in a couple yrs. For the 4th of July Doug, Frank, and I walked to the park in our neighborhood to see the fireworks. It's actually adjacent to the park where the fireworks are actually set off, so although our view wasn't directly from below the spectacle, it still was pretty nice. Frank was more interested in the cheese-itz than in the booms and crackles of the show. This was our first 4th of July away from Batavia I think! I went to a knock-off designer purse party with a friend that was pretty fun and picked up a fake Dolce & Gabana bag that's pretty sweet :) Hahaha.... Then toss a few more YW and stake YM/YW activities in the mix. Oh, and volleyball! Doug and I play sand volleyball in a recreational league at Keva in Middleton every Thursday night with another couple from our ward (Abrey & Warren), a coworker of mine and her boyfriend (Jessica & Brad), a YM from our ward (Aaron), and a friend of Doug's from Edgewood (Ryan). We aren't that fantastic, but we did win last week, so wooohoo! Keep it up! :) And July 3rd Doug's brother and his wife had a baby girl named Aleah- so that's #2 for the W8 side of the family! Yay! And of course my big past times are compulsive cleaning, organizing, and reading :) with an occaisional nap and snuggle time! I'm still working on July's book club book that we were supposed to have read by last week's gettogether :) Oh well!

NOW, up to date! My parents are coming up to help us finish up a few projects and to visit this Saturday. Then Sunday through Wednesday is my company's annual meeting in Milwaukee that Doug and I will be going to. I'm going to attempt to run a 10K at that, if I don't die of a heart attack...

Yeah, that's about it! We keep busy:) Hope all is well with you and yours!

No comments: