East of Eden by John SteinbeckMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
John Steinbeck has a intricate, beautiful, and honest way of describing nature and people's hearts. This book draws in the reader like a non-shallow soap opera would, spans generations of a few families, but it does it in a beautiful and honest way, not a cheesy, overly-dramatic way. It's supposed to follow the biblical Cain & Able story, but I found it more of talking about the good and evil within each man. Some people are 100% either way as are some of the characters, but for most of us, we all have a good amount of good within us (divine nature & potential) and a good amount of evil within us (natural man that we're trying to overcome). And it takes certain experiences, people, or decisions in our lives to cause us to tip to one side or the other, or to recognize the good inside of us instead of focusing on the bad. In all honestly, yes, it's a high from finishing such a momentously massive book, but also, I enjoyed the read. I would caution that there are some seriously bad people in here that do bad things, a few cuss words in dialogue, but I would recommend it to anyone up for the undertaking :)
View all my reviews >>




No comments:
Post a Comment